Friday, July 13, 2012

Safety First

There's been a lot of buzz lately over the Bia watch on Kickstarter.  If you haven't heard about it, go check it out here --> Bia

I love that it's a super thin and lightwatch GPS watch for sports.  My favorite part however, is the safety alert function.  Granted, I don't know how well this function will work yet since the project hasn't been officially kickstarted, but just knowing that there is a safety alert function brings me great joy.  The idea is you can alert loved ones and/or emergency responders should an emergency occur.  As a female, who often runs alone early in the mornings and late in the evenings, this gives me a lot of peace of mind.  Although I personally have not had any bad experiences, nor know anyone close to me who has, it's still always in the back of my head to be alert.

Even if this watch doesn't take off or if you don't end up getting one, here are some ideas to help make running solo a little safer:

1. Be aware - don't tune out the world.  Be aware of your surroundings and the people you pass.

2. Be visible - this means wearing reflective clothing, bright colors, and making eye contact with people so you know they see you.

3. If you must run alone, let others know your plan - where you plan on running, how far you plan on running, your estimated time of return.

4. Always carry ID on you, either in the form of an actual license, road ID bracelet or shoe tag, or maybe a cell phone with an ICE (in case of emergency) number on the main screen.

5.  Turn down the music - I'm not one to say you shouldn't run with music, as I most certainly do.  However, I make sure my music is down low enough where I can still hear it, but I can also hear footsteps behind me.

6. Trust your instincts - if you have a gut reaction towards a person or an area you're running in, there's nothing wrong with high tailing it out of there.

(disclaimer - I'm not affiliated with Bia or any Bia personnel in any way shape or form.  I just think their product and idea is way cool and hope to see the watch get funded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment