Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I am a nerd

Unfortunately, Karen had to work on some of the days I was visiting her.  I took the opportunity to walk around the American History Museum.  Museums, I love them.  I especially love walking through museums by myself.  Why you ask?  So I can take my time and read everything and not have to worry about making people wait impatiently.  (nerd alert 1)

The American History Museum is one of my favorites, and it also houses the famous First Ladies Exhibit where the gowns are put out on display.  I have been reading a lot of biographies on our founding fathers (nerd alert 2) and it was so neat to see artifacts from that era and from the very people I have been reading about.  I can only imagine what they were like when they were alive.

The first major display upon walking into the museum is the original Star Spangled Banner Flag.  It was the flag that inspired Francis Key Scott to write the song that would eventually become our national anthem.  It used to hang in the Smithsonian, but it is so fragile now that it is laid flat and will never hang again.

Some highlights from the museum:
Grecian style GW
This statue of George Washington created quite the stir when it was first revealed.  It was thought to be vulgar as George Washington was "inappropriately dressed."  I really like the symbolism of the statue and how all the details mean something.  It's a Grecian style statue to symbolize Greece as the world's first democracy.  There are smaller figures of American Indians and Christopher Columbus to symbolize the old and new worlds.  Most important though is the outstretched sword, which symbolizes him selflessly relinquishing power to the people after he led the country to victory in the American Revolution. (nerd alert 3)

Michelle Obama's Jason Wu inauguration gown
 
 
George Washington's Original coat


Lincoln's pocket watch.  Inside the watch, there is an inscription of "Jonathan Dillon April 13-1861 Fort Sumpter [sic] was attacked by the rebels on the above date J Dillon April 13-1861 Washington thank God we have a government Jonth Dillon." Apparently Lincoln never knew about the inscription. (nerd alert 4)


time line of our Presidents


Slavery.  This whole exhibit brought tears to my eyes.  I have been watching Ken Burn's Civil War (yes... nerd alert 5) and it's hard for me to fathom how people can justify treating other human beings this way

No comments:

Post a Comment