Monday, December 20, 2010

Fat Fest 2010: East Coast Edition - Atlanta

The moment I confirmed with Miss Jen about visiting her in Atlanta, she, in true foody fashion, immediately began making reservations at various Atlanta eateries for us.  I, in true nerd form, began a Google Excel sheet to keep track of all of my upcoming eats.  Note:  There is nothing else on this spreadsheet besides where we are eating for each breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The day I chose to fly into the durty south was rather eventful.  Being THE coldest day Atlanta has had in 95 years (12 degrees), my flights were delayed delayed delayed, and both of my planes skidded on the runway upon landing.  THAT was definitely interesting.  I ended up taking MARTA into Inman Park where Jen then picked me up.  There were over 1000 accidents on the road that day and so Jen decided it was best for her not to be on the freeways.  Thank goodness for free wifi on Delta flights!  Jen and I were able to email each other back and forth on the best way for me to get to her place.

My first full day in Atlanta took me to the magnificent Georgia Aquarium, which has the world's largest aquarium that is able to hold 6 full grown whale sharks.  It is one huge 6.3 million gallon tank.  As I sat there in awe and amazement, I realized I can actually DIVE in the tank with the 4 whale sharks, 4 manta rays, 2 hammerhead sharks, and about 6000 other fish.  I then proceeded to spend the next 2 hours convincing Jen that the $250 was well worth it.  For those of you who don't dive, $250 for 1 30 minute dive is RIDICULOUS.  Usually, a boat dive is around $100, but you get TWO dives.  However, we felt much better about our decision knowing that (1) this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to dive with FOUR whale sharks, (2) we probably won't ever have this chance again, and (3) all proceeds to towards shark research as the Georgia Aquarium is a non-profit.

Here are some shots I took at the Aquarium on my phone:
Mermaids :)
Every couple of hours, there is a mermaid show, where they dance and "sing" along to Christmas music



What I can be diving with... For $$
One of the 4 whale sharks in the Aquarium

No comments:

Post a Comment