Friday, April 8, 2011

Parathas, Sangeet and a Mehndi Party.. Oh My

Adi and Nitasha's aunt graciously invited us over to lunch at their farm house, which is so called because the lands there used to be farms.  The spread of food was delicious and way more than abundant.  We had our full of chicken biryani, parathas and rice pudding.  There were so many different types of parathas, and as each one came out, she insisted we try the new one.  Poor Kevin had already eaten a full serving of potato paratha when the cauliflower one came out.  So of course he ate two more.  Then the radish one came out, and so he had to try that one too.  By the end of the meal, I think he had undone his entire belt.

After a food coma induced nap, Aradhana's driver dropped me off at the parlor, where I was to have my sari tied and pinned.  I have yet to learn how to tie a sari on, thankfully there's youtube (seriously).  After some skillful pinning and Kevin donning his kurta, we headed out to the Hyatt where the Sangeet was being held.  Usually, only women are allowed at the sangeet, but in this case, everyone was invited.  The main purpose of the sangeet is for the family and friends to perform for the bride and groom.  In this case, Rustam and Shweta also exchanged rings, so we first watched that ceremony and waited for the family to take family portraits.  We then watched Shweta's friends and family perform dances and songs, and then finally we watched Rustam's friends and family perform.  After the performances, it was party time, and we stayed at the Hyatt until they kicked us out... around 2am.


Waking up rather late the next day, I was fed another amazing traditional Indian breakfast.  Aradhana had been kind enough to make us something traditional and different every morning so we can truly get a taste of authentic Indian food.  Following breakfast, Aradhana and I headed back to Rustam's house to the Mehndi party, where I got henna done on my hands.  Because Rustam's cousin in law is Shahrukh Khan, there were photographers (paparazzi) at every event, and Adi and I both had pictures in the Times of India!  Granted, no one knew who the heck I was, probably wondering who this random Asian girl is, but oh well!




No comments:

Post a Comment